This statuette is either a reduction of the statue created by
Marochetti for Glasgow between 1850 and 1854, or a cast of a maquette
for the statue. At present, two versions of it are known to exist. This
version was acquired in 2009 from an English dealer by the Musée Girodet
at Montargis.The other was acquired by the National Galleries of Scotland in 1991
it is believed that Marochetti changed his statue of the Queen to bring
it more into line with an equivalent equestrian statue of Prince
Albert, when the pair were erected in George Square, Glasgow in 1866,
this statuette reflects much more closely than the present Glasgow
statue Marochetti's original design. The original statue had received
some hostile criticism when first unveiled, for its proportions and air
of instability, and it is possible that this may also have persuaded
the sculptor to modify his design.
The photographer Nadar
(pseudonym of Félix Tournachon) reported in his memoirs having seen in
the studio of the London-based photographer Camille Silvy, a solid
silver equestrian statuette of Queen Victoria, housed in a chapel-like
enclosure, behind a grill. This replaced Marochetti's coloured marble
statuette of the Queen, represented as "Queen of Peace". Nadar records
that Silvy had paid Marochetti the equivalent of 30,000 francs for this
piece. It was in all probability a version of this statuette.
Unlike the Glasgow statue, in which the Queen is shown holding a sceptre, this statuette shows her with a small pennant. However, this is most probably a replacement. The horse's harness is less highly ornamented than in the Edinburgh statuette.