This statuette is either a reduction of the statue created by Marochetti for Glasgow between 1850 and 1854, or a cast of a maquette for the statue. At present, two versions of it are known to exist. This version was acquired by the National Galleries of Scotland in 1991.The other was acquired in 2009 from an English dealer by the Musée Girodet at Montargis.
Since it is believed that Marochetti changed his statue of the Queen to bring it more into line with an equivalent equestrian statue of Prince Albert, when the pair were erected in George Square, Glasgow in 1866, this statuette reflects much more closely than the present Glasgow statue Marochetti's original design. The original statue had received some hostile criticism when first unveiled, for its proportions and air of instability, and it is possible that this may also have persuaded the sculptor to modify his design.
The photographer Nadar (pseudonym of Félix Tournachon) reported in his memoirs having seen in the studio of the London-based photographer Camille Silvy, a solid silver equestrian statuette of Queen Victoria, housed in a chapel-like enclosure, behind a grill. This replaced Marochetti's coloured marble statuette of the Queen, represented as "Queen of Peace". Nadar records that Silvy had paid Marochetti the equivalent of 30,000 francs for this piece. It was in all probability a version of this statuette.
This version of the statuette, when examined by the author in 1990 was found to have had various features of the crown and the whole of the sceptre replaced. The horse's harness is more highly ornamented than the version more recently acquired for the Musée Girodet.