For biographical details of Joseph Locke, see Wikipedia.
Locke is represented standing, looking very tall and lean, in a high waisted frock coat, one hand by his side, the other raised to his lower chest.
Locke had been on the memorial committees of both of his engineer colleagues, Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Robert Stephenson, who had died within a month of each other in 1859. Following his own death on 18 September 1860, a meeting was held in the Institution of Civil Engineers which proposed to commission a statue of him (Minutes of Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Vol.XX, 1860-61,pp147-148). On 1 July 1861, Charles Manby wrote at the request of Lord Alfred Paget MP, asking the permission of the Office of Works for a site (TNA, Work 20/253). The site which the committee had in mind was in the gardens of St Margaret's church, Westminster, alongside the statues of Brunel and Robert Stephenson. However, whereas permission was initially granted for the erection of those two statues in the gardens, after some hesitation, the First Commissioner of Works, William Cowper, ruled against Locke's statue being erected there (TNA Work 1/68 and Devey, op.cit).
In his 1862 biography of Joseph Locke, Joseph Devey wrote with some feeling of this rejection. After stating that Marochetti was "at present engaged on the work", he went on to speak of the request for a site in the gardens of St Margaret's. "Opinion", he wrote, "spoke aloud that space should be granted. The Government shuffled till the urgency of the demand became fainter from disgust. Mr Cowper then took the courage to refuse. The refusal was consistent and perhaps discreet. The greater the honour paid to the memory, the more would be remembered the disregard paid to the merits of the engineer".(J.Devey, The Life of Joseph Locke, London, 1862, p.354)
When Devey wrote, it already seemed probable that the eventual location of the statue would be in the park created on a seventeen acre site gifted to the town of Barnsley in memory of her husband by Phoebe Locke. The statue was erected there on 1 Jan. 1866 (Barnsley Times, 20 Jan. 1866) , and still stands there today.
In 1951 a copy of the Locke statue was made for the town of Barentin in northern France. It stands under the massive railway viaduct, which Locke had designed as part of the Paris-Le Havre railway link. (N.W. Webster, Joseph Locke: Railway Revolutionary, London, 1970) The viaduct spectacularly collapsed during its construction, and had to be rebuilt at the expense of the railway magnate Thomas Brassey (see Wikipedia), but is still seen as one of the wonders of 19th century engineering.