Daniel Roberston was the General Manager of the National Provincial Bank, whose first London premises, a richly decorated palazzo-style building designed by the architect John Gibson, were erected in Bishopsgate in the City in 1864-65. Robertson had retired in 1863, but had continued as Honorary Director until his death in 1864. In the 32nd Annual Report of the bank, it was announced that, "with a view to commemorate the great services which he rendered to the Bank, the Directors have ordered a marble bust of him,to be executed by Baron Marochetti to be placed in a prominent posiition in the Bank's new building, as a mark of respect, which they hope will meet with the approbation of the shareholders". (Suffolk Chronicle, 20 May, 1865). Announcing the bank's opening for business, on 10 Jan. 1866, the Morning Post gave a description of the new building, and, in its account of the main banking hall, stated that "the bust of the late Manager, Mr Daniel Robertson, deceased, by Marochetti, is placed on a bracket......in the centre of the North end of the room".
Robertson is represented in modern costume, but with a plaid shawl thrown over his left shoulder, an allusion to his Scottish origin. No longer in the main banking hall, the bust is now displayed in the entrance vestibule of what is now referred to as the Gibson Hall.