This bust of Queen Victoria was presented by the Queen herself to the Earl of Aberdeen in February 1855, after the collapse of his government and his retirement from politics. It is a version of the bust upon which Marochetti began work in April 1852, but for which she was sitting again in Nov.1854.
The diary of Arthur Hamilton Gordon, later 1st Lord Stanmore, records for 10 Feb. 1855: "The Queen has sent H.L. [His Lordship] another very pretty letter, making him a present of her bust by Marochetti. He has thankfully received it 'for his descendants, - for himself Her Majesty's image must ever be imprinted on his heart'".
The Earl of Aberdeen himself composed the Latin inscription carved in marble above the bust, which is framed by a wreath of laurel leaves in relief. The translation of the inscription is as follows: "Queen Victoria, as a mark of gracious favour, adorned this house with her sculptural portrait, in the year 1855".
(for a fuller entry on this portrait, see the entry for the version of it in the Royal Collection)