This is a maquette for an early project for the the equestrian statue in the Piazza San Carlo, Turin. It was probably presented to Carlo Alberto, Grand Duke of Savoy, shortly after Marochetti received the commission on 5 Oct. 1831. At this point, the equestrian statue was intended to be the crowning feature of a fountain, with figures representing the different provinces of Savoy-Piedmont. This design for the equestrian group was rejected by Carlo Alberto. Marochetti came up with a new design, after the project was revived in 1836.